This is where you will find the best relationship advice from relationship experts worldwide. We suggest the following tour:
- Relationship Quizzes: Fun Relationship Quizzes to discover how your relationship is doing.
- Relationship Advice: Frequently updated relationship advice postings with specific areas:
- Relationship Questions: Ask our panel of experts questions about your relationship. Your question may be selected to be answered in our column.
Summary: Who Wants Relationship Advice & Why
Relationship advice seems to be a fairly popular topic. People seem eager to both take and give it. There is relationship advice for men, relationship advice for women, dating advice and marriage advice. Relationship advice that applies to one group, may not address the feelings and needs of another group. In addition, while many people are only too eager to offer relationship advice, they are not necessarily the best examples of their own advice (as the cartoon makes clear). How can we tell the difference between good and bad advice?
What Is Good Relationship Advice?
To answer that question, we need to examine whether or not the it meets the needs of of the person receiving the advice. Let’s take a look at some of the differences:
Dating advice generally applies to singles and falls into several categories, depending on the desired outcome. Some possible needs might include:
- Attracting a potential mate
- Distinguishing a good potential match
- Suggestions for a great date
- Knowing when to get more serious
- When to make a commitment
- How to deepen communication
- Knowing when to give up and move on
Married people tend to need a different sort of advice. There are several categories for marriage advice:
- How to find a good husband or wife
- How to cope with the challenges of married life
- How to improve one’s marital relationship
- How to rescue a marriage on the rocks
- How to manage until the children are grown
- How to have an amicable divorce
Relationship Advice For Men
First, let’s agree that all human beings share certain universal concerns, and that by examining men’s needs in particular, we are not dismissing those concerns. That said, here are a few of men’s needs:
- A desire for love, sex and friendship from a woman
- A need to be appreciated for what they contribute
- A need to know they are not being taken advantage of
- A need to understand a woman
- A need for solitary space
- A need to resolve the need for excitement and the need for stability
Relationship Advice For Women
On the other hand, women have concerns that men don’t necessarily share. For example:
- A need to feel safe
- A need to feel desired
- A need to feel special
- A need for friendship
- A need for truthfulness
Again, although these concerns may be shared by men as well, they are particularly important for women.